My husband and I stayed for 5 nights over Labor Day and the location is perfect for exploring the beautiful and amazing parks in the area: Trinidad State Beach, Patrick's Point State Park, Redwood National Park, Prairie Creek Redwoods, and Jedediah Smith Redwoods.
The pictures of the beautiful grounds are accurate and they are beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing.
Jan and Maclyn are responsive and friendly hosts.
We prepared breakfast and dinner most nights in the well equipped kitchen and ordered excellent takeout from The Larrupin Cafe which is 3-5 min away by car.
Bottled water is supplied.
Everything worked well in the house except what is noted below.
Suggestions sent to Jan & Maclyn and they are working on:
1) At this price point, the expectation as a guest is that all basic maintenance and cleaning issues for the house are addressed. Lights in the kitchen over stove were out which made cooking difficult and toilet in master bath did not work. These have now been fixed after our stay. The shower door in the guest bath was broken and the electrical work is underway in the house so bare wires and sockets are not visible and a potential hazard. Laundry from previous occupant was left and was moldy..we ended up rewashing with our own unscented detergent we purchased.
2) Switch to unscented or low scented products. Irish Spring and Tide with Febreeze are two of the strongest smelling products on the market known to trigger responses for individuals with asthma. My husband, who has asthma, had a difficult time in the house due to the strong fragrances on towels, sheets, dish towels, etc that permeated.
3) Active cameras outside and inside the house should be disclosed in advance to guests and what is being filmed so guests can take steps to ensure their physical privacy. It was disconcerting to sit in the hot tub and see the live camera. There is a live camera in in the house filming the entry way.
4) Screens on windows would be helpful since lots of mosquitos and flying bugs in evening.
5) Add some privacy options for master bedroom and master bathroom. It was a little anxiety producing to take a shower while gardener was there since shower/bath/bedroom completely open.
6) Chlorine level on hot tub seemed high which made it not enjoyable.
7) No pantry space available to store food so we ended up storing on counters and in the dining room.
Hope these tips help others!